Picture by: Allie A La Carte for La Cocina No Muerde
Servings: 2- 4 | Prep/Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 pound large shrimp (21-25)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 oz. Fermín Iberico Sobrasada
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
A splash of white wine (Albariño or similar)
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan (med-high).
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Drain the garlic and set aside.
- In the same oil, add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook for about one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add a splash of white wine, let it reduce for 30 seconds.
- Add the sobrasada, the garlic and finish cooking for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Finish with the parsley and serve right away!
This quick and easy recipe is one of Spain´s most famous tapas dishes. Gambas al Ajillo are basically garlic shrimp. However, every region makes them different. The most popular are the classic Madrid version and this one with Sobrasada, the one you will find in Mallora or any Balearic Island. These tasty shrimp are a perfect mid-week meal or appetizer, served on toasted Spanish or baguette bread. The secret is to flash cook the shrimp in very hot olive oil, making sure you don’t overcook them and using fresh garlic and parsley right at the end just before you serve them.